Below is an announcement from the Red Cross seeking qualified individuals to work with persons with disabilities during emergencies and disasters.
Red Cross Seeking Disability "Experts" Nationwide
for Disaster Relief
Apply Today! Deadline for applications June 15!
Training July 10-11 in Washington, DC
Here is an excellent opportunity to get directly involved with
the American Red Cross in providing services to people with
disabilities during emergencies and disasters.
The Red Cross is taking applications for participants in their
new Community Relations activities, part of their Disaster
Services Human Resources (DSHR) program in which they train and
deploy employees and volunteers to serve during emergencies and
They are specifically seeking people, with or without
disabilities, who have the requisite specialized knowledge to
advise and assist in working with people with disabilities. The
goal is to train and deploy individuals for both leadership and
direct service duties during disaster relief efforts. The Red
Cross will provide training for the individuals selected and
will work with other partners to coordinate deployment.
There will be a two-day training session in Washington, DC on
July 10 and 11 to prepare the selected volunteers for
deployment during the upcoming hurricane season. The Red Cross
will fund all travel and lodging expenses for those attending
the training. Training details will be provided as applications
They are also encouraging people who are not already enrolled
in the Red Cross Disaster Services Human Resources system to
register through their local Red Cross chapter prior to
attending the training. Those who do not enroll prior to the
Washington training will be enrolled upon completing the
training session, so they can be deployed when needed.
Deployments during disaster relief efforts are typically for
three-week assignments but can be modified, when necessary, to
accommodate individual schedules.
Please review the selection criteria below and, if you are
interested, submit the attached application form by June 15th,
2006 to Gayle Brock, Director for Diversity, via fax at
202.303.0200 or by email at email@example.com. Gayle is
also available to answer any questions you have regarding this
undertaking. He can be reached at 202.303.8566.
Selection Criteria for Community Relations Activity
* Demonstrates a commitment to enhancing diversity and
* Believes that achieving (or enhancing) diversity is a
critical business issue for the Red Cross.
* Values differences (and similarities) in people and respects
* Demonstrates effective facilitation and discussion skills.
* Able to Initiate and foster relationships with organizations
and individuals representing racial/ethnic minority groups,
people with disabilities, older persons and socially and
economically disadvantaged populations.
* Listens and responds without making premature judgments.
* Is open to different points of view (accepts alternative
* Promotes confidence and esteem in self and others.
* Provides constructive feedback and advice in a
* Is flexible and able to adapt to change in high-stress
* Effective at problem solving; especially across cultures.
Attitudes and Beliefs
* Is positive and enthusiastic.
* Acknowledges that individuals vary in awareness, knowledge
and skills about diversity and inclusion.
* Background, training or experience in human relations,
diversity or related area desired.
* Background, training or experience directly related to
working with and serving people with disabilities.
For more employment opportunities, see: